Another reason why I am staying with M43

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 8,341
Another reason why I am staying with M43

At the moment I am at a crossroads with my photography. I was running M43 as my only system up to a few months ago, when I added FF thanks to the falling prices of that format.

My photographic interests have changed. I was doing a lot of hiking when I got my EM5 and the fit was perfect. Now I am doing a lot of architecture and FF seems a better fit.

But another photographic situation that came up, convinced me that I will be sticking with M43 as it is just too good in some situations. Not as a “second” system but as a system among equals.

My wife dragged me along to a concert in a small club in Bologna. She wanted to see one of her favourite musicians of her misspent youth play. She also asked me to take some pictures.

I could have chosen to take the D810 with one or two of the fast lenses (Nikon 180 F2.8 and 300 2.8) that I used when I did theatrical photography professionally . Or I could go light with the EM5 and the 35-100 2.8.

I chose to go light and I did not regret it. I just blended into the background with my small camera and shot away. The light was very low and poor and I used 3200 some of the time. I used manual exposure BTW.

The results were far above anything I ever got with film, face detection is super, it mostly worked like a dream, leaving me more to concentrate on the composition. My shooting position was what it was and I could not move.

Another reason why I will not be giving up on M43 in the future.

The concert; well, I was not expecting much, but I was surprised by the load energetic performance a long way from the dated Prog Rock that I expected. Carl certainly pounded those drums!

Here are some shots from the gig with Carl Palmer*, Drums, Paul Bielatowicz Guitar and Simon Fitzpatrick Bass

*Ex Emmerson Lake and palmer.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow