'Legendary' status

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 5,888
Re: 'Legendary' status

Belgarchi wrote:

Totally subjective but fun: which lenses are considered as a 'Legend', whatever the reason?

I can think of only a small number:

- Nikon 105/2.5 AIs

I fact, except for the 105/2.5, which is a semi-legendary, none of the other lenses are legendary. By legendary, IMO, a lens has to have a historical importance, uniqueness with the best image quality at that time. Maybe you change the AI-S to pre-AI, then IMO the Nikon 105/2.5 is a legendary. There are some legendary lenses in my mind:

• Germany (East and West): Carl Zeiss 180mm f/2.8 the original Olympia Sonnary rather than post-WW2 ones, the Topogon and Hologon series (up until the Contarex era), and the original post-war Biogon series. Of course, the Carl Zeiss Mirotar 500/4.5 and 1000/5.6, and Carl Zeiss Jena Spegielobjektiv 500/4 and 1000/5.6 have to added. One more from Germany, Voigtlander Zoomar 36-82mm f/2.8. If you are lucky, you may be able to rent a Zeiss 50mm f/0.7 and 35mm f/0.7. The first one, a planar type with a relying system inside, was designed for a half-frame Contarex camera. The combo was used to explore the back side of the moon.  Finally, the mother of all modern untra wide angle: Goerz Hypergon.
  • America: I would pick Celetron C8 orange tube, Questar 3" and Questar 700.
  • Japan: Perhaps the Nikon AF-D 28mm f/1.4, 28-45 f/4.5 (the first wide zoom), Nikon AIS 300mm f/2 could be included. Nikon also made the first 80-200mm f/2.8. For Canon, perhaps the first telephoto lens using FL glass.

These are the legendary lenses popped up from my brain. There are certainly more for other people to add.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow