AF, BIFs and the human element

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,431
AF, BIFs and the human element

Am I alone in thinking the clamour for better AFC such as currently hoped for on the EM1-X is overstated. I believe that the G9 gives me slightly better AFC than my previous cameras which is nice but it doesn't resolve the real problem, ME!. I can have the best AFC in the world but it doesn't help with my human reflexes and abilities. Why I have so much admiration for Vass's swallows is because regardless of the cameras ability the real skill is all his. I can focus on a Swallow, I can even sometimes maintain focus on a swallow but as they get closer and more photogenic my human capabilities let me down. I probably take more BIFs than most and with some success but I am still constantly let down by my own abilities and anybody who hasn't had my level of experience and practice will struggle even with a hugely capable camera. We rarely see new cameras being evaluated for BIF shooting and when we do people shoot eagles, pelicans, large raptors etc which let's be honest you should be able to capture with just about any modern camera.

One other point when shooting BIFs as with so many other aspects of photography is the ability to take advantage of good light. Have a look through a random selection of BIF pictures and take note of how many of the really great ones are taken in fantastic light at very high shutter speeds. it doesn't matter whether the camera has good low light capability a BIF in great light will nearly always look better than one in poor light.

I'm not in denial about camera improvements but I do feel that the idea that the EM1-X or any other camera is going to be the panacea that means you can take good BIFs regardless of your own ability or decent light is just hype.

I'll leave you one I took earlier, Redwing, G9 and 100-400, 60fps

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow