Noise - Full Frame vs M43, part2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
981S Regular Member • Posts: 320
Noise - Full Frame vs M43, part2

The other day there was a thread comparing the noise performance of a FF vs a M43. It is clear that the FF is better able to sacrifice DOF in favour of noise performance, given the available lenses. But a format larger than FF will again have better noise performance, given the same sensor technology, so the question is how much noise performance is good enough?

After a lot of theory, I decided to look at actual differences. Below are a few shots I took using a D850 and with NR turned off. The left side is taken at 100mm and cropped 2x, the right side is taken at 200mm using the entire sensor. This means that the left side will be a good indication of the noise performance of a modern M43 sensor.

How good is good enough will totally depend on each person's noise tolerance and how large the image is viewed. It looks to me like ISO 1600 is practically undistinguishable even highly magnified, while at ISO 6400 a difference starts to show in the shadows when viewed at full screen, but these are still very much usable images. ISO 25600 it all breaks down.

ISO 400

ISO 1600

ISO 6400

ISO 25600

981S's gear list:981S's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +7 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow