Here's The Question Nobody Can Yet Answer

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProDude Regular Member • Posts: 335
Here's The Question Nobody Can Yet Answer

I've spoken this morning to Canon and 3 top Canon dealers throughout the country and the question I'm wanting an answer to can not be answered by any of them. It apparently is all speculation at this time, however, we all know that Canon engineers could certainly answer it. But we don't have access to them. So here's the question I'd LOVE to have the answer to

OK so we now know and are well aware that the RP has a "Modified" or shall we say "altered" version of the 6DMkII sensor, altered to accommodate the needs of the mirrorless setup. Who knows how many adjustments or alterations were made to it. We also are well aware (sorry if I'm stepping on toes here) that the 6DMkII's sensor was the first and perhaps only step BACKWARD in the forward progress of Canon's sensor development. That's not my words, that's the words of virtually every reviewer and DXO around the world. No secret and sorry it had to even occur.

It's dynamic range was rated via DXO at a paltry 11.7 (my Sony RX10MkIV 1" sensored camera is a 12.1 so how embarrassing is that!) and a few very competent reviewers out there did extensive tests and illustrations of how trying to bring up shadows of a slightly underexposed landscape shot revealed excessive noise. This is something I do from time to time as I'm trying to retain the sky. Nothing special there.

I'm looking for a "stop gap" camera till the Pro model comes out early next year supposedly from reports we've all read. It would allow me to build up my RF lenses in the meantime preparing for the arrival of the pro model. This way also I could afford to begin with at least the 2 primary lenses I'll be using (not just one). I don't do video so that's a good thing. I'm looking ONLY for a camera such as the RP results I've been seeing online thus far, of extremely good high ISO performance (indeed it seems to excel at that already) with a "reasonable" dynamic range (let's say at least pushing the 13+ range) to accommodate my real estate, portrait and landscape usage without this annoying raising shadow noise issue that the 6DMkII had.

I would LOVE to believe that Canon took the 6DmkII sensor, reworked and tweaked it not just to accommodate the mirrorless setup but increased the microlenses ability to gather light and it's sensitivity (which may have happened with it's -5EV rating which is better than the 6DMkII) thereby increasing it's dynamic range characteristics as well. Which no doubt the DIGIC 8 processor adds to as well.

Is it too much of an assumption to think this might have happened and we're onto a camera of superior DR as compared to the original 6DMkII sensor? I only bring this up because several of these reviewers made the glaring statement "if you're looking for a landscape camera or shoot high dynamic range scenes look elsewhere" I felt I needed to know the truth and not their acerbic and perhaps erroneous opinions of the RP. It would be the perfect stop gap camera for my use till the Big Kahuna comes out next year. I'd hope the Dpreview folks would read this and dig deeper to find the answer to this. Let's just hope Canon went the extra half a yard and beefed up the 6DMkII sensor beyond its previous issues to premier this little guy

-- hide signature --

Name the gear and I've probably owned it and used it.

ProDude's gear list:ProDude's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow