Fuji / Canon and the IBIS "Dark Ages"

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DiffractionLtd
DiffractionLtd Senior Member • Posts: 2,836
Fuji / Canon and the IBIS "Dark Ages"

Pretty frustrating.  New Fuji looks good, especially for the price and good lenses are available for it at reasonable prices.  But no IBIS.  How Canon and Fuji can avoid IBIS is amazing.  Both have "some" lenses with I.S., but in-lens I.S. is yesterday's technology and will only be used as an adjunct to in-body IBIS by most companies (like Olympus and Panasonic do now) in the future.  The problem is modern digital camera resolution.  Anything with 24-50mp must have IBIS in order to maximize the output of the camera.  Unless by some miracle you only shoot subjects capable of providing you with shutter speeds at least twice the lens focal length, you will be losing detail.  Then it begs the question, why even have a high megapixel camera?  If you don't have in-body stabilization, then any non-stabilized lens work you do you run the risk of blurring the image, unless you develop a passion for unreasonably-high ISO settings, which sap detail in their own right.  If I were buying a camera right now and had a question about the efficacy or importance of IBIS, I'd do some experiments shooting images in and around the suggested hand-held settings for a specific lens focal length,  using IBIS and not using IBIS.  It could be a real eye-opener for people.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow