I need a new camera with a better low light ISO

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Chips Pringle
OP Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 596
Re: I need a new camera with a better low light ISO

Nikon D7200, f6.3, 1/160, ISO well above 6400. A lot of noise was removed in Lightroom. Nikon 35 f1.8 DX lens.

eastriding4310 wrote:

This is such an interesting discussion you have started. We have seen the bad photos from others, but not a sample from you. I can't imagine needing such a high ISO, unless you need a fast shutter speed for some sort of action. Maybe you could elaborate on your special shooting situation. My D500 will shoot fine in low light at 1600 and 3200 ISO. I have shot dozens of cruise ship shows at 3200 ISO without too many problems.

Your lens collection looks pretty good for what you want to do.

Some things I have noticed with my shooting are that low light photos do not crop as nicely as good light photos. Therefore it is helpful to position yourself so that you can fill the frame as much as possible. Secondly, it is helpful to get as close as posible because the power of light decreases to the square of the distance from the source. Oh, and I always shoot in bursts, so I will probably leave a show with 1000 to 1500 shots and can pick the best ones to keep.

One advantage that the D500 has is its advanced focus system.

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow