Plan A - Get E-M1X. Plan B - Stay with E-M1 Mk II and...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,250
Plan A - Get E-M1X. Plan B - Stay with E-M1 Mk II and...

Background. I'm the end point photographer for American Cancer Society (ACS) Philly Bike-a-thon. During the 2017 event one of my E-M1 Mk II overheated and shut down after 3500 pictures in 90 minutes. I finished the remaining 45 minutes with second E-M1 Mk II shooting 1700 pictures in that time frame. At that point the camera that shut down recovered, but it was time to break off and cover the Survivor ceremony. Temperature was 85 degrees F. Last year ACS got a second photographer to cover the Survivor ceremony, so I was doing finish line shots for the full 5.5 hours. Used a D500 and shot 14,993 pictures in the 5.5 hours with no problem, temperature was in high 70ies F.

I'm looking at two options this year. Coverage will be the same as last year. I have an E-M1X on preorder. Plan on using my 40-150/2.8. That's option 1. Option 2 is forgo getting the E-M1X, get the Panasonic 50-200/2.8-4.0, and alternate say every 30 to 45 minutes between the two E-M1 Mk II with the second E-M1 Mk Ii using my 40-150/2.8.

I prefer using my mirrorless because of the WYSWYG seeing I'm fighting the sun. My main concern is overheating. Love to get both the E-M1X and the 50-200, but my budget will not allow both for this year. What would you do?

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 +31 more
Nikon D500 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow