Fuji 80/2.8 question regarding quality (plus a RAW file to play with...)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,733
Fuji 80/2.8 question regarding quality (plus a RAW file to play with...)

To start with, there is the RAW file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hoqek7o8tag075/GPT33131.RAF?dl=0

Here is a default pic and a possible conversion:

Default, no changes

Cranked up sharpening etc

.. and here is an X-E1 + 60/2.4 comparison. I realise those pics are far from "comparable", BUT the RAW file shared here was the best of the lot which made me wonder whether the 80/2.8 in question is maybe suffering from sample variation??

.. and here's the question:

Regardless of what I photographed with that lens, the results were ok but not more than that.

Here is another pic taken at a different time etc:

The lens never seems to get up there with the micro-contrast of the 60/2.4 or the 50/2:

here is another shot non-macro this time. OK I find but ... dunno:

So if anybody here has the 80/2.8 Macro and could share some "similar, but different" shots.

The lens belongs to a good friend of mine from Germany, files were transferred via dropbox. (Hi Sugarbaker!!!) At this stage he feels like he would want to return the lens as it doesn't seem to be on par with other Fuji offerings. I would tend to agree, but as I don't have any reference I simply don't know what to expect from that lens.

And of course feel free to have a play with the RAW as always. The exif is of course in the RAW file I just noticed that I have taken the EXIF out of the conversions above sorry.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow