Photographing through window glass

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris 345 New Member • Posts: 1
Photographing through window glass

Until last year, I thought that photographing through window glass, especially through two sheets used in double glazing, would noticeably reduce image quality, probably to the extent of it being unacceptable. I finally tried the technique, however, because the waterfall on our garden pond attracts many birds that bathe and drink the water. The waterfall can be easily viewed from our kitchen window and is a reasonable distance away for photography. Sitting outside using a tripod mounted camera was unsuccessful because the birds were reluctant to fly in. My wife and I mount our Canon 1D mk 4 and 500mm lens on a home built gimbal head which is itself screwed to a plank of wood and rested on our sink draining board. Reflections from the glass are not a problem because the lens hood is very close to the window and prevents light falling on it. We just leave the camera in position and check occasionally if birds are present on the waterfall. The position of the sun, according to time of day and season, determines whether the light is satisfactory for photography or is shaded by buildings. I do not have with and without glass photographs to make a direct comparison, but I am satisfied with the quality of the images taken though our window.

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow