Dead AF on DFA* 1.4

Started Jan 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Re: The Thrilling Conclusion

Alex, I appreciate your technical insights, which help me understand why Pentax would move to something like this, if not this exact design.

I think my contact was defective, because nothing unusual happened, it was pretty new, and I've used my other Pentax lenses - including those with the same design - the same way (in the same camera bag) without a problem.

I don't know if this is best thought of as a manufacturing defect, but it certainly is a design choice that makes the lens highly susceptible to failure in the event of a manufacturing defect (or, if you prefer, normal-but-not-perfect use).

I don't think I'm exaggerating.  I was a handier when I was a kid than I am now.  I can remember contacts  like these in kids toys that are impossible to "pry up" without tools.  That might've been a good design feature for Pentax to consider here.

Again, from different perspectives, we are arguing over matters of inflection.  I think this is a pretty dumb way for a lens to fail, but if it's indeed a manufacturing defect, then no one else may have this problem.  Great!  My concerns here are addressed to some specific choices made by Pentax, and don't impugn Pentax or its quality control generally.

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Labe
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow