Are you concerned about using the Z cameras in sunny places?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 25,607
Are you concerned about using the Z cameras in sunny places?

The reason I ask this is that I normally don't have the lens cap on when I am out with the camera, and the lens is ALWAYS open, even if the camera is switched off.

I noticed this yesterday for the first time, since my Nikon 1 10-30mm zoom gave in yesterday and so I considered to open it up, in case I find something which I can fix. The lens is old and well used, so no tears over it, but it would be cool to fix it.

Anyway, I took a few pictures and saw that the aperture blades seems OK, but there is an extra shutter, which closes when the camera is switched off or the lens is removed.

The shutter blocks the light, and opens when the camera is switched on, protecting the sensor when there is no need for any light to enter the camera. I checked my other Nikon 1 lens, and that one has this shutter also. I think this was a very good idea when they designed the Nikon 1, and personally I think it wasn't very bright to leave it out from the Z. Actually, I think it was a pretty poor idea not to have it...

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow