X Summit: Fuji considering F/2 Zoom Triumverate

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Strangefinder
Strangefinder Regular Member • Posts: 195
X Summit: Fuji considering F/2 Zoom Triumverate

For myself, I conceive of Fuji as an agile, prime-oriented kit, however, I know that there are many Zoomers out there, especially among the X-T3 and X-H1 brigades.

F/2 Zooms would bring a certain credibility to the system, and draw in some hold-outs.

So I was encouraged by a slide at the recent X Summit which showed that Fuji are considering these three bright zooms:

XF18-35mm F/2

XF35-70mm F/2

XF70-140mm F/2

Personally, I would tweak these to:

XF16-33mm F/2 (differentiating from the 18-35, and may have more video value)

XF35-70mm F/2

XF90-135mm F/2 (size, quality and mnemonic considerations)

What are your impressions of a Big Bright Zoom Triumverate?

Given the popularity of the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 lens among filmmakers this sounds like it would dovetail well with Fuji's video developments.

The X Summit also mentioned the extensive investment required for lens development, and this made me wonder if they'd consider collaborating with Sigma for a revised 18-35mm F/1.8 with AF module improvements and finessing for the XF system. They did bring Zeiss on board for the Touit line, so this is not without precedent, and could be mutually beneficial. It would also attract attention from the filmmaking press. What do you think? Wishful thinking?

These would be big zooms, and OIS would scale them up further still. Then again, they could release with the X-H2. Would you prefer them big with no OIS, or huge with OIS? (Sigma's APS-C 50-100mm F/1.8 is 1.5kg with no OIS.)

You like?

-- hide signature --

Photography is truth
and Cinema is truth twenty-four times per second /JLG/Le Petit Soldat

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow