7dmk2 in 2019?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: 7dmk2 in 2019?

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Like in the title, is it still worth to buy this camera in 2019? Or is it beter to go mirrorless or maybe wait for the mk3 version?

Thanks.

A 7D Mark II is still very much worth having, now, which is not quite the same thing as very much worth buying, now. I used my pair of 7D Mark II cameras for official purppse, until I retired* last year, and they are still stored in my big Pelican Case 1510, ready for a quick grab-and-go deployment. Even though I also have a 5Ds R and 5D IV, my 7D II cameras remain part of the “team,” especially for photographing small creatures with a Macro L lens.

Whether it is “better” to buy a mirror-less camera is very much a matter of what one plans to photograph. An EOS R, for example, is perfectly suitable for landscapes, but does not have the best AF system for birds/wildlife. Much the same can be said for the EOS M system.

Will there be a 7D Mark III? I hope so, but hope is a thin reed. The ones who do know are under non-disclosure constraints. The camera market is shrinking. These are interesting times. If a disaster were to claim my 7D II cameras, I would probably buy a replacement 7D II as soon as possible, rather than wait for what may be vapor ware.

*I did not, and do not, claim to be a “professional” photographer, though I strived for a professional standard of care, in my evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography. I still believe that the 7D II, with an EF 100/2.8L Macro IS lens, a Macro Ring Lite, and a good Speedlite, is second to none, for that task.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +43 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow