7dmk2 in 2019?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,892
Re: 7dmk2 in 2019?

Reservoir_Dog wrote:

Like in the title, is it still worth to buy this camera in 2019? Or is it beter to go mirrorless or maybe wait for the mk3 version?

Thanks.

The 7DII is essentially an APS-C version of the 5D series, sitting somewhere in the middle of the 5DIII and 5DIV. It's fast, rugged, and plenty capable of lots of things. The only snags for you may be:

High ISO limited

No "flippy" screen

No touchscreen

The touchscreen is the least important part to me, personally. I use it on my 5DIV, 70D and SL1 bodies, but I often have to remember to. I sometimes use "touch" shooting on the 5DIV, but it's not my thing, really. The flippy screen is also not terribly important to me; I use it sometimes for viewing in awkward positions with the 70D, but again, no dealbreaker for me. I do wish it had better high ISO performance, but when used alongside a 5DIII or IV, it's fine up to 3200 ISO while the full-frame does the heavy lifting.

Good for 2019? Sure. Good for 2020, too, if you don't need those three features I mentioned, plus maybe 4K. I'm in no hurry for 4K, but understand that it will eventually be a standard in a few years, making a large investment without 4K unwise. But the 7DII is reasonably-priced if you don't need it, and will remain viable for some years ahead.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow