Windows 7 - reading minidump files after random shutdowns

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 638
Windows 7 - reading minidump files after random shutdowns

Does anyone have recommendations for a safe, easy, and reliable way to read minidump files that Windows 7 generates from an abnormal shutdown?

Twice in the past week or two my nine year old Dell XPS 8100 desktop that is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 has shut itself down after sitting idle for a couple of hours or so. Both times when booting up afterward Windows has indicated that the previous shutdown was not normal.

When this happened last night I went to Event Viewer and it looks like this latest shutdown happened when Windows was trying to go to sleep. I found the minidump file for this shutdown and I can open it in a text editor but of course most of what I see is hexadecimal and gibberish (to me) characters.

I have been searching Google for a way to read and analyze and maybe get help from minidump files. Most responses are confusing, self-contradictory, and\or complicated.

I have seen recommendations for BlueScreenView. Does anyone have experience with this tool?

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow