Looking for a new laptop

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tacitvs Forum Member • Posts: 81
Looking for a new laptop

Hello all

I unfortunately need to get rid of my desk (and, therefore, will no longer be using my desktop PC at a desk). I am therefore looking to get a laptop. I just can't decide which to get...

For background, I need this for general day-to-day tasks and photoshop/lightroom will be the heaviest applications I use (and even then I do not use them that often). I want something that will make these programs snappy. Realistically speaking I also want something quite portable for use in different rooms/when I travel, etc.

The above considerations have brought me to the Huawei Matebook X Pro, due to its form factor and good screen. I am worried that if I go for the base i5 model with integrated graphics and 8gb RAM that it won't be quick enough for lightroom/photoshop.

Would I be better paying an extra £200 for the i7 model with the MX150 GPU (note this still has only 8gb RAM)?

Alternatively, given the choice, I could go for a refurb Dell XPS 15 with better hardware, but with a 1080p screen instead.

What do people think? Should I go for a slightly slower laptop for the sake of portability and the screen, or is 1080p 15.6" good enough?

Other suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Tacitvs's gear list:Tacitvs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow