Tony Northrup: Oh please just stop and go out and shoot with your camera. Please...

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
C Sean Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
Tony Northrup: Oh please just stop and go out and shoot with your camera. Please...

I want to send youtube a message and ask why am I constantly getting recommended their latest videos despite not watching them except for the odd occasions. Then I just realise why I avoid their videos. Not because I have a difference of opinion or taste but they just produce click bait videos. The toxic photographers waffles is another one.

Tony decided to release another video and this one is called Crop Factor: Do you need Full Frame? So in his video he used both Full Frame, APC-S and M43 as comparisons. I also need to get this out of the way but he said he often recommend people to get smaller sensor cameras and only recommend Full Frame if people want thin depth of field. Very ironic. He also talk about like using small sensor cameras.

This also should get channel flag or better yet not to have his videos sent to every photographer who watch Youtube videos.

Now he doesn't actually address the pros and cons of Full Frame or if I should drop my soon to be dead format and go Full Frame because it better. Oh hang on a minute, I'm better off staying with crop format . This is a prime example why I'm disgusted the Northrups videos constantly in my recommend list. Their words hold no merit. I'm totally fine when people change their opinion due to experience but the Northrup has access to both crop and Full Frame cameras for years. So they hold substance in what they say in my opinion.

There nothing in the video worth watching and the comments below are a joke. What I find interesting is the way he pretend film and sensors larger 35mm doesn't exist. If it does it would destroy his explanation crop factors.

For those who don't know. Wide angle lenses on medium format has a higher focal length than Full Frame wide angle lenses and therefor can create thinner depth of fields. So basically bigger the film/sensor,  bigger lenses and as a result bigger lenses will have higher focal lengths which in turn means greater thin depth of field.

The better explanation is medium or large format film/sensor are wider and capture more of the scene. To get in closer to isolate a subject, the lens will need to have a greater focal length then compared to Full Frame to zero onto the subject. Because the full frame is capturing less of a scene and doesn't need it standard prime to be as telephoto compared to say medium format. Hence why medium format create greater thin depth of field because it covers a wider area and therefor the lenses need to be more telephoto to capture less of the scene.

Funny how the Full Frame argument fall apart when you include both medium and large format film/sensor.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow