Moving on from 4/3 after 13 years.... Locked

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
stimmer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,181
Moving on from 4/3 after 13 years....

I started with an Olympus e-500 and slowly moved along with the system over the years.  Eventually I migrated into micro 4/3 and have had good results and have made the most of my equipment.

However, after Olympus announced the em1x price(and lack of a new sensor) I realized the time had come for me to move on from the system. $3000 is just way too much for a system that frankly is getting hit from many directions.

I feel strongly that Olympus really missed the boat not moving into the full frame arena.  Everything about their cameras is generally better but they have been at a psychological disadvantage forever with the smaller sensor(despite the advantages it does bring).

Olympus would have had more access to sensors had they chosen to do this, and I believe they would have made a compact solution that would have been portable.

The em1x is possibly the most ridiculous contradiction they have ever released. Priced higher than the full frame options and much bigger as well. Not the right message to give when they give their excuses about sticking with micro 4/3 sensor size and how it’s a size advantage.

The nikon camera became much more attractive to me when this happened and I’ve decided to go in with it.  I don’t have a crystal ball but my gut tells me that Nikon is going in the right direction with Mirrorless, flaws and all.

Not posting to cause an argument I really just wondered if others got that same contradiction from Olympus with their latest release. It shows an incredible disconnect with their customers in my opinion.

Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
GBC
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow