APSC vs Full Frame vs Medium Format

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RodandEva Regular Member • Posts: 153
APSC vs Full Frame vs Medium Format

Greetings,

I recently purchased the Fuji GFX 50R to go along with my XT2 and Z7. Unfortunately, I can only keep two of them. Admittedly, I suffer from GAS. Anyway, took them out last night for a sunset over-looking Dana Point. This is not meant to be scientific, but just a fun comparison (in fact, I screwed up and shot the Z7 at ISO 800). Each are two shots, RAW processed in Capture One and blended using NIK HDR Pro2.

No real surprises, the GFX has "gobs" of detail, but each is capable of producing great images. I will be keeping my XT2, and need to decide between the Z7 and 50R. At first, I did not get on very well with the 50R ergonomics, but it is really growing on me. The 32-64mm is a big lens, but is well balanced on the 50R. The image quality is beautiful.

I'm really torn on whether to go for medium format and the deliberate shooting style, or stay with the Z7 and added versatility. Photography is a hobby for me, an escape that is therapeutic, soothing and fun. Gear is an extension of that. The Z7 is the logical choice, but the Fuji's have something special to them, which is hard to explain. Input welcome.

see below sample images:

Nikon Z7, 24-70 F/4 S, 45mm, f/11, ISO 800

Fuji XT2, 16-55 f/2.8, f/8, ISO 200, 24.9mm

Fuji GFX-50R, 32-64mm F/4, F/14, ISO 100, 51.7mm

RodandEva's gear list:RodandEva's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-T2 +13 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow