To buy or to wait, the 850.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Contributing Member • Posts: 577
To buy or to wait, the 850.

I am really having a hard time pulling the trigger to get a D850.  I have tossed the idea around for months and just cannot seem to make myself pull the trigger.  I would really like some input into how it will help my "brand" of photography.

I am a cotton farmer with a passion for photography and that passion has sold a lot of photos and gotten me a lot of work in the past few years.  Call it a niche market but the landscape photos and close ups of crops have sold a lot of images. There are not a lot of photographers getting the kind of images that I do and I plan on expanding by placing more of my images in places that have stock photos as there is not a lot of farming photos in those places.  I also have jobs shooting for a wind turbine development company and a sports website covering a D1 university.  My absolute favorite thing to shoot is wildlife and I spend many and hour sitting by a stock pond shooting birds and other wildlife.  I make enough money with my photography  to afford an 850.

I have a Nikon D750 and a Nikon D500.   These cameras have worked well for me but feel that the D850 offers me a lot more on landscapes and macro.  Most of my photography is spur of the moment and don't use tripods a great deal.   I am on the move  a lot and if I see a scene that I want to capture I don't have a lot of time for setting up a tripod.  I just try and take advantage of many of the scenes that are put in front of me.   I do some editing of my photos but not a lot.   I don't do a lot of post processing but do use some dodge and burn and a few other things.(I just don't have the time)

I am intrigued by many of the things that an 850 will do. The other thing is I like so many more things about my D500 over the D750 and the pro body and functions of the D500 are just better to me.

I'm sorry about the long post but I felt it was important to explain what I do.  I have read thread after thread about the 850 and wonder if it is too much camera for me and maybe wait and see what the 760 will be.  I am not really interested in mirrorless.  What say you, how will the D850 benefit me?  Thanks for the help.

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
Nikon D1 Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow