Good overall device but broken just after warranty due to recurring problem E:62:10

Started Feb 9, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
R Olivier
R Olivier New Member • Posts: 8
Good overall device but broken just after warranty due to recurring problem E:62:10

I have owned over a dozen camera's from different makes and models, amonst others several SONY's.

My last purchase was a SONY DSC-HX400V and I have been a proud owner of this device for 2.5 years during which the device worked without problems. During that period, the DSC-HX400V has been very versatile, pleasant to use, the long zoom is fantastic for animal or nature photos at great distance, the LCD repositionable is a plus, and switching between automatic settings for quick photos and manual settings for specific results is very enjoyable.

Some drawbacks of the device are some slowness to take multiple pictures, and a high grain when light is lower or with higher zooms.

However, suddenly, although I have taken much care of the camera, a blinking error message "E:62:10" appeared just after the camera was turned on, and continued to blink continuously on the screen for the entire period of use. I found the meaning of the error message at https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/articles/00008857: this is a generic error with the stabilization system. Then the high zoom pictures became blurred and even in the viewfinder there is a shake.

What was not my surprise to find out via a simple search of the error message on the Internet (google E:62:10 or on YouTube) that it is a well known recurring problem that (very) many users are facing just after the expiration of the warranty, and this with several models of SONY cameras. Many forums are filled with similar messages in all languages, with endless lists of answers from desperate users who all share the same problem.

I have listed so far more than 300 forums (see on http://sony-e-62-10.tk), each forum lists dozens of users with the same problem! I found on Amazon the testimony of a company that simultaneously bought a dozen devices and more than half of which revealed the error E:62:10! Another user bought 2 HX300 and 1 HX400V, all with the error E:62:10. Another user bought 2 HX400V ... both with the same error code. The problem is so well known that some have even developed a whole Internet business based on this phenomenon! There is a procedure that allows to operate the stabilizer again, unfortunately it must be repeated each time the device is turned on.

After posting my testimonial on SONY forums, I was advised to call the technical support ... and like all other users, I only received standard copy/pasted messages referring to the expiration of the warranty and refusing to take into account the hidden defect manifestly present given the number of cases listed.

The repair costs mentioned in most forums vary between 300 € and 400 €, in most cases a cost roughly equivalent to the initial purchase cost of the device. And SONY is quick to add that under the terms and conditions of the warranty, SONY can not guarantee the availability of spare parts for a product out of warranty.

If you decide to buy this type of device, then take into account the fact that you will have to depreciate the totality of its cost of purchase over the 2 years of legal warranty ... !!
I hope my experience will serve other users.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 1200 mm (50×)
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
R Olivier's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow