What is your pick between Nikon Z7 and Nikon D850 for landscape

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jfw Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: What is your pick between Nikon Z7 and Nikon D850 for landscape

jh82 wrote:

I am only shooting the landscape (90%) plus a little bit of “nightscape” (10%). Currently I use Nikon D610 with Nikon AF-S 14-24mm F2.8G, 24-70mm F2.8G and 70-200 F2.8G VR II lenses, and want to upgrade to D850 or Z7. I have read a lot of reviews about two cameras and am sure that both cameras are great for the landscape. However, I do like the lighter body weight of Nikon Z7 camera/lens as well as IBIS system but I am not sure how good it can do under low light (dusk and dawn twilight condition) or challenge lighting (such as high contrast lighting condition). I would like to know your thoughts from real world works about these two cameras.

Thank you in advance.

John

Note: I am also posting this question in the forums of Nikon FX SLR, sorry for the duplication.

I also shoot mostly landscape.  I had a D800 (which my niece now has) and was in the market for an upgrade to either the D850 or Z7.  I chose the Z7.  Reasons (in no particular order):

• New mount and the promise it has for enhanced image quality.
  • New f/4 lenses, with better edge-to-edge sharpness and smaller/ lighter (I don't need f/2.8 for landscape).
  • For the pro's of mirrorless including things like live histogram, not having to deal with mirror slap, etc.  (I do miss the OVF sometimes but, with the new EVF, I enjoy a number of advantages over an OVF, and I miss the OVF much less that I would with other mirrorless systems that don't have as good an EVF).
  • Smaller size of the body vs. D850.
  • IBIS offers a bit of "freedom" in the field in the sense that I now sometimes feel a bit freer to not use a tripod.
  • Less worried about lens calibration.
  • For what I shoot, I didn't care about the tracking AF advantages of the D850.
  • I didn't care about 1 slot only - happy with 1 XQD slot.
  • I probably missed an item or two... but that's a bunch of 'em.

Of course, both cameras are IMHO engineering and ergonomic marvels.  If you are using for landscape, I don't see how you could go wrong, or be unhappy, with either camera. I am extremely happy with my Z7 system, including the lenses.

Of course, if sports is your game, it would be a different story.

jfw's gear list:jfw's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
jfw
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow