What is your pick between Nikon Z7 and Nikon D850 for landscape

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
whimsicalmike
whimsicalmike Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Re: What is your pick between Nikon Z7 and Nikon D850 for landscape

jh82 wrote:

I am only shooting the landscape (90%) plus a little bit of “nightscape” (10%). Currently I use Nikon D610 with Nikon AF-S 14-24mm F2.8G, 24-70mm F2.8G and 70-200 F2.8G VR II lenses, and want to upgrade to D850 or Z7. I have read a lot of reviews about two cameras and am sure that both cameras are great for the landscape. However, I do like the lighter body weight of Nikon Z7 camera/lens as well as IBIS system but I am not sure how good it can do under low light (dusk and dawn twilight condition) or challenge lighting (such as high contrast lighting condition). I would like to know your thoughts from real world works about these two cameras.

Thank you in advance.

John

Note: I am also posting this question in the forums of Nikon FX SLR, sorry for the duplication.

My main photography these days is temples and waterfalls in Asia with portraiture as another area of interest. A lot of the temples are in some strange and inaccessible places often at altitude. Waterfalls tend to be on hills, strange that isn't it   The z is only 2/3 the weight and to me that is very noticeable after a long day climbing.

Portraits i prefer the D700 with the 105DC.

In Thailand now so only bring the z with 24-70 and 16-35 f4. hurry up Nikon i want the 14-30. I bought the 105 as well but not likely use it much.

whimsicalmike's gear list:whimsicalmike's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
jfw
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow