New Firmware Update for DJI Osmo Pocket: Pro Mode Settings without a Cell Phone

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
kurth Senior Member • Posts: 1,467
Re: How about initial activation?

Markr041 wrote:

kurth wrote:

Adrian Tung wrote:

kurth wrote:

problem with that is ...then u need to stay friends for the life of the camera, with the cellphone owner ! I'm kinda of waiting cause they're saying a new ipodtouch is at the gates, and I like the idea of no phones whatsoever. It's just an additional cost to make the camera complete that I don't sit well. And truthfully, it seems a bit conspiratorial. I'm sure it's true for everyone but dji customers, that no one had to ever register their cameras before using them...ever. As I see that dji continues to refine this camera, I'll get it sooner of later ...later since I live in mexico... or a new version will come out first. I'd like if they were able , like they did with the osmo, of adding a 3x zoom. And what about sound....in terms of solutions. Have they released a mic input connector yet ?

Personally I feel that if you do not like or support the practice, don't go looking for workarounds or hope it may be changed in the future. Just go find another alternative, vote with your wallet and don't look back.

well personally Adrian....that's standup advice....'cept for one thing....as I hope you're aware. There is no alternative to the pocket. If and when some other gimbal makers come up with some competition, then I'll be sure to take that obvious advice. Until then, why don't people ask themselves why a chinese drone company is digging so deep into their personal lives ?

I share your general concern, but...You signed up for posting on this site. So these guys using your data is ok? Is it your privacy you are worried about or China? You lost your data to many entities already, many times if you signed for any social media site or any retailer at all. Have you registered any camera you own online? To Sony or Panasonic? They are tracking you too. Use Google? Tracked. Is this just China bashing?

china bashing ....humm...china concern ? ....absolutely. China is far more involved in the governmental abuse of personal data than the west, even though the west is following. They already have full facial recognition programs operating in society, and are leading in it's development. And as I said...absolutely no one, except possibly customers of dji , if you're aware of another company, let me know...but in no other other circumstances on planet earth are cameras buyers forced into signing in with a personal communications device to gain operational ability of the camera. Nor do any social media sites require that ability to be used. I kinda of find it suspicious that a drone company would have that policy, considering most drones wouldn't want to be tracked.  Voluntarily registering any camera for warranty and firmware updates is not even analogous , and doesn't limit the cameras functionality whatsoever, if not done. In every circumstance I've encountered, even using microsoft, I don't have to register with a personal communications device to use the product. NO where...if you can name an example, please do.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow