600PF??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
shuncheung Contributing Member • Posts: 755
Re: 600 PF??

chambeshi wrote:

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/29/where-is-the-nikon-af-s-nikkor-500mm-f-5-6e-pf-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

"....Update: coincidentally a new batch of the 500mm f/5.6 lenses just started shipping in the US two days ago.

• The lens is fully hand-assembled (“hand-made”) and because the China factory producing them has only a limited number of staff with the necessary training and/or skill to produce them.
  • The Phase Fresnel element is “tricky and time-consuming” to produce, consequently, this is the bottleneck in the process.
  • Nikon is experiencing production delays due to inconsistencies in the glass used to make the lens elements. Evidently, the glass problems are affecting several other lenses produced in China as well but I don't know exactly which ones. No timetable was given as to when the issue would be resolved. Supposedly they were talks about sourcing glass from the Sendai plant and assembling the lens in China or even moving production to the Sendai plant.

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/01/29/where-is-the-nikon-af-s-nikkor-500mm-f-5-6e-pf-ed-vr-lens.aspx/#ixzz5eOOpzJZ2"

chambeshi, no offense, but I would take whatever posted to Nikon Rumors with a grain of salt. In particular, before those bullet points your quoted, they specify:

"Here are the possible reasons I received from sources on why this lens is still not available"

Those are merely "possible reasons" and who knows what their sources are and how reliable they may be.

Back in December, when we were talking about the 500mm PF, a Nikon rep in California did tell me that it takes 7 months to manufacture that PF element, and that is why delivery has been slow. I have no idea whether he might have exaggerated a bit or not.

Any PF element for a possible 600mm PF is going to be larger and even more difficult to manufacture. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think a 600mm PF will be difficult to hand hold and Nikon's emphasis is shifting to the Z mount. What is holding up Nikon's Z system is the selection of native Z-mount lenses. Sony has a head start and now Canon, Panasonic and Nikon are racing to catch up. Nikon simply cannot afford to fall behind.

shuncheung's gear list:shuncheung's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow