The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,145
Re: The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

RVJ wrote:

...How do you find the IQ of the Sigma 150-600 Sport, wide open at 600mm?

I've read so many contradicting reviews about this lens, some can't praise it enough, and others saying you get better images by using a shorter Canon/Nikon own brand, and then cropping in post.

Check Old Greenlander's D850, Sigma 500 f/4, and 150-600S posts in the third party lens forum. He has some excellent comparison photos of Sigma 500mm vs. 150-600S there.

Various opinions are likely due to copy-to-copy variability. I have seen everything from stellar to totally unacceptable images from the 150-600S depending on the copy -and whether or not the user did the fine tuning or not. My own 150-600s was not sharp at 600mm when I bought it (used). After fine tuning at infinity it is extremely sharp. Please note that tamron 150-600 versions 1 and 2, nikon 200-500, and sigma 150-600 C and S all have large copy-to-copy variability. It is part of the deal with getting less expensive super-reach zooms.

Nikon exotic primes and lenses like the excellent Sigma 500mm in this thread I'm sure have less copy-to-copy variability but there are less copies of them total, so it's hard to tell based on anecdotal evidence.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow