The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Started Oct 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,142
Re: The Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport - sample images

Rexgig0 wrote:

A 500/4, with AF, remains a long-term goal. My Nikkor 500/4P is so very wonderful, a true top-tier exotic super-tele of its day, but, that was the day when “P” meant AI-P; manual focusing, with CPU contacts.

FYI I did a head-to-head comparison of the 500 f/4 P to Sigma 150-600S on a D750 for tons of different wildlife.  I was mainly interested in comparing absolute IQ (irregardless of AF) in a direct comparison for normal wildife shooting.  This is probably all common sense but all the same here is what I found out:

(1) In terms of IQ (disregarding ability to get accurate focus) at 500mm, it is pretty much identical.

(2) Cost for both (used) right now is pretty close to the same (150-600S is maybe $200 more or so)

(3) Shot eagles, swans, small birds, beavers, BIF etc at 500mm with P and 600mm on 150-600S to see how big of a difference for real world wildife shooting. There is a BIG difference.

(4) of course the AF is the biggest factor and there is no compelling reason to have a 500 P over 150-600S when the S is really fast at AF, has incredible lock -on ability for BIF when set up right, OS. Also the S loses nothing in terms of IQ at 500mm vs the P. The ability to go to 600mm is a huge bonus for wildlife shooting.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow