Regarding the trends towards 100MP Why?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 5,338
Regarding the trends towards 100MP Why?

As I read the various rumor sites, its pretty clear the 100MP resoluion is getting established as the next big hurdle for camera manufacturers. Evidently, Canon has said they will eventually come out with a 100MP version of the R series. Sony has said their FE lenses are capable of resolving 100MP. Fuji plans to announce a 100MP version of their GFX line.

But for the life of me, why would I want such a thing?

I'm not a studio or commercial photographer who needs to fill space on a or print a wall-sized image. The screens where my pics are viewed are rarely greater than 4K. For magazine work or book illustrations, a 20MP file is already overkill.  An 8K screen is in the 30-40MP range which, I suppose, it in the ballpark. But then, who pixel peeps at that extreme level?

Then there is the question of technique. To fully realize 100 MP of resolution requires damn near perfect technique.  The old 1/focal length rule as the minimum shutter speed for hand-holding is not even close ... it would be more like 1/(10*focal length) if you want to achieve that resolution.  Shooting wildlife or sports at that resolution would be an entirely different game of lenses and tripods. Casual scenic hikes to grab a few shots would turn into tiresome grinds hauling along tripods and heavy lenses.

What set me off was an image of new Panny S series with a purported 70-200 lens attached. If that's what Panny has in mind, I want no part of it.

To my mind, Oly is wise to stick with the smaller format that can achieve all that is really necessary for excellent photography. The EM1x will clearly establish the upper end of the line. The cameras to follow will presumably build on current form factors, and provide valuable options for shooters with other needs.

It seems to me the mainstream FF market is getting ready to march off a cliff in pursuit of a 100MP goal that makes no sense for folks like me.

Am I totally off-base?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow