EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Back2M Regular Member • Posts: 367
Re: More Samples - Better Light

fishy wishy wrote:

That's interesting. Is it playing nice with the R?

Yes and no.

It's fast and accurate AF.

The IS works great, when it works which is the problem. Half the time it fails to engage. I've made it part of setup routine to turn on the camera, turn off the IS on the lens and then turn it back on. I don't know if this is due to the EOS R constantly driving the IS motor and thus is causing erronous results on the older IS system, or, if the IS motor itself on the copy of the lens I got (as it's used) is simply on the way out.

DLO works for the lens without issue.

Image quality is good, which I gather the EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM works best on full frames, which the R is a full frame.

Obviously with the EOS R I have no AFMA issues too.

I've always been curious about the 70-300 DO, and, I tried the lightest native EF mount 100-400 IE the Tamron and found it still too heavy/bulky so I wanted to go as minimal as possible. The 70-300 DO does do the job nicely. It may only be 300g lighter, but, the weight distibrution is far more desirable as all the weight is toward the camera, not the peripherial like a traditional 100-400 or 70-300 would be making the handling awkward. Zoom ring is nicely placed/balanced as is the control ring on adapter. Mounting and unmounting is awkward, as is the 17-40L. The 85mm and 50mm's handle well though. Zoom creep is a notable issue on the 70-300 DO though. That zoom lock is used whenever it's not being shot. Standard procedure to de-engage it prior to shooting and re-engage it when it rests at my side via blackrapid strap on the R itself.

Back2M's gear list:Back2M's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow