Not Bothering To Learn Photography

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The City Lane
The City Lane Forum Member • Posts: 93
Not Bothering To Learn Photography

Why is it that so many people who want to take better photos think that a new camera will solve all of their problems?

I'm obviously not saying anything new by repeating the mantra "it's the photographer, not the equipment", yet so many people fail to appreciate this point.

Case in point, a friend of mine a few years ago would constantly tell me how much he loved my photos and what camera I used. Soon after, he bought the same camera I was using, the Fujifilm X100S. Long story short, his photos didn't get better.

He kept asking me how I was getting great photos that he couldn't get, often in situations where we were shooting at the same event, and I kept telling him that he had to spend some time learning how to use the camera, and to 'get out of auto'. He didn't and kept wondering why his photos weren't as good as mine.

A few years later, he bought himself a Sony A7R II, which is now his primary driver. Of course he shoots in auto with the kit lens, and of course he still wonders why his photos aren't as good as mine. Again, I told him the same thing, and he still doesn't listen.

This isn't unusual though. Even though people are told they need to learn a bit about photography, they still convince themselves it's the camera that's the issue and often drop thousands of $ into equipment that's well beyond what they 'need' from a technical standpoint to get shots that will be suitable for their purposes (online only, social media and blogs).

Frustrating! #rantover

The City Lane's gear list:The City Lane's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR 7artisans 55mm F1.4 +1 more
Fujifilm X100S Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow