Electronic shutter scan time: a collection!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
panther fan Regular Member • Posts: 311
Electronic shutter scan time: a collection!

Why does it matter?

Electronic shutters are becoming more and more useful with every new camera released. They eliminate vibration, noise and allow for faster FPS. Not even talking about the AF and EVF improvements that are possible on mirrorless cameras without a mechanical shutter blocking valuable capture time.

The inherent problem that comes with electronic shutters is an effect called rolling shutter. It is a problem with all vertical scanning shutters, including mechanical ones. The problem with most of the current electronic shutters is that their scan speed is comparably low. What this means is that the top of the image is recorded at an earlier point in time than the bottom of the image. This results in horizontal movement being jagged or skewed. It also leads to banding problems with pulsing light sources.

Why this thread?

Most of the current camera reviews don’t include tests of the electronic scan time, and most manufacturers don’t provide any specs on this. Searching for tests is a tedious process, this thread is meant to be a collection of tests and values of all current ES scan time tests.

I start with a collection of Jim Kasson ES tests, and some other tests I found:

I also made a visual representation for easier comparison of the different ES scan times. The graph represents a straight vertical line with a speed of 50ms/ image width. A perfect shutter would present a straight vertical line. The higher the tilt, the slower the readout.

If you have links to any other tests, feel free to share them in this thread.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow