I just resigned: Farewell Leica! Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
vbd70
vbd70 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,186
I just resigned: Farewell Leica!

Farewell Leica, the love is still there but the relationship has run its course. Saying something like that kinda feels like being in a movie, but I wouldn’t know how to put it differently.

As many of you know, in mid-2016 I have been selected by Leica Italy as a Leica Ambassador, and in October 2018 as a Certified by Leica photographer.

I have been using Leica M cameras long before that, for more than a decade now. In early 2016 I started working with Leica SL: it was love at first sight, and until late 2018 I used exclusively my two Leica SLs, sided for months at a time by various other Leica gear, to create my photographs.

During my time as Leica Ambassador, I had the fortune of meeting some great colleagues, some really amazing photographers, and of making new friendship that I’ll treasure forever. I had the honor of being part, albeit for a short time, of a brand that started 35mm photography as we know it and that have been there for more than hundred years of history of photography.

At the end of 2018, with my love for Leica’s products still unchanged and with various Leica cameras and lenses still in my bag, it was clear to me that my relationship with Leica Italy had run its course. On December 20, 2018 I decided to sever my ties with Leica Italy, and I sent them my notice. It was time to go solo again.

The reasons behind my choice of resigning from being a Leica Ambassador and a Certified by Leica photographer, something that most photographers in the world would kill for, are twofold. Believe me when I tell you that it has been one of the most difficult decision I ever made, but that I am very happy I did it.

Most of my reasons have to do with my business relationship with Leica Italy, and I am sure you’ll understand it if I’ll keep this part for myself. Some part of it, on the other hand, has to do with my continuing search for the best tool for my job as a Fine Art landscape photography.

For me, equipment choice has always been dictated by what I have to shoot and by the look I have in mind. Leica lenses are fantastic, and together with the Leica SL for three years they helped me create some of the best work I have ever done.

During my whole photographic career, I always loved the look of Medium Format: for me, there is just something there than no 35mm cameras can create. For three years, the Leica SL system brought me closest to my beloved medium format look than any other 35mm system while giving me the weather-sealed, tough-as-nails reliable cameras and lenses I need to be doing my job.

I still love the Leica SL, its essential interface and the beautiful, minimalistic camera body were great to work with. The files were very good, best in class for FF cameras, but something was missing, something difficult to describe with words but something I noticed more and more in time.

As I said, I’ll keep the business relationship part of my reasons to resign from being an Ambassador and a Certified by Leica photographer for myself. Suffice to say that somehow the magic was gone, and Leica Italy didn’t do anything to help me get it back. On the contrary. So, it was time to go solo again.

Thank you for reading, best regards

Vieri

vbd70's gear list:vbd70's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica CL Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Leica SL 90-280mm F2.8–4 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH +4 more
Leica SL (Typ 601)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow