My Thoughts on Fujifilm X-T1 for Studio Work - It Will Work

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
p0ppyman
p0ppyman Regular Member • Posts: 410
My Thoughts on Fujifilm X-T1 for Studio Work - It Will Work

Did a studio headshot shoot this morning with my Canon 6D. I have a "pop up" studio in my home where I move the furniture around to create a 17'W x 25'L with 9'+ ceilings. 90 minutes to put up and 60 minutes to tear down.

Now that I have a Flashpoint 600 Pro with both a Canon trigger and Fuji trigger decided to bring out the X-T1 after the shoot and have my wife be the subject for a few shots. Used the Fujinon XF18 - 135mm lens. The 600 Pro optically triggers my other Flashpoint 320M and 620M lights.

Results were I found the Fuji IQ acceptable. If my 6D takes a dump during a shoot I feel I'm covered. I know there are better Fujinon prime lenses I could buy and I may just do that. My standard portrait lens is my Canon 70-200m f/2.8 with the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 as a backup.

I find myself shooting in the 90mm to 135mm range.

I did feel it was a bit awkward having to be as close as I needed to be to do a tight framing for the headshot. I'm normally a good 10' to 15' from the subject with my Canon set up. Felt like I was crowding the subject.

Key thing is I now have a backup to salvage a shoot if the unthinkable happens to my Canon. For additional protection I may buy the Fuji 56mm lens.

I'm now comfortable an APS-C camera is an acceptable alternative to my Canon 6D. I know everyone has been saying so but until you try it sometimes you have doubt. What do they say "the proof is in the pudding"!

On a side note for headshots I think the 600 Pro is almost too much capability for the size of my studio. The upside is at the requirement for lower power after ~ 200 shots today the battery was still showing 2 green lights.

-- hide signature --

~ there is beauty in every face ~
https://www.billpoplawskiphotography.com

p0ppyman's gear list:p0ppyman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +6 more
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow