Sony A7xxx Posterization and Colored Banding (Part 3)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 7,115
Sony A7xxx Posterization and Colored Banding (Part 3)

I wanted to jump into the investigation last month in the Part 2 thread (link) but was busy with other projects. Just tried to post to that thread but it's full so I'm starting this new thread to continue the effort.

I spent a few hours today working on this. I've made some important discoveries but before I go into those I would like to first flesh out if anyone has reproduced the issue with vignetting correction disabled with either the A7rIII with firmware before V2.00 or the A9 with current firmare V4.10, because in my experiments today I'm unable to reproduce it on either of these cameras. I'm trying to avoid upgrading to V2.10 on my A7rIII for now because I have a large dataset collected today that I want to keep matched to more planned experiments.

First, here are my A7rIII compressed images with Version 1.01 firmware, with the Zony 55mm f/1.8. As expected the issue is easy to see with vignetting correction enabled:

A7rIII Compressed raw, Zony 55mm @ f/1.8, Vignetting Correction Enabled, Pushed +5EV

But I'm unable to reproduce the issue with vignetting correction disabled. @msclsk was able to reproduce it with the same lens on his  A7M3 here, and Magnar on his A7rIII w/V2.00 firmware with a different lens here). Here's the same shot and PP as above but with vignetting correction disabled:

A7rIII Compressed raw, Zony 55mm @ f/1.8, Vignetting Correction Disabled, Pushed +5EV

And here is the same settings and lens but with the A9, using the current V4.10 firmware:

A9 Compressed raw, Zony 55mm @ f/1.8, Vignetting Correction Enabled, Pushed +5EV

A9 Compressed raw, Zony 55mm @ f/1.8, Vignetting Correction Enabled, Pushed +5EV

I'm actually unable to reproduce the issue with vignetting correction disabled with any of the several Sony lenses I have. As I indicated above, I'd first like to see if anyone has reproduced this on either the A7rIII with V1.01 firmware or the A9 with V4.10 firmware.

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow