lens strategy advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mazzuccato
mazzuccato Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
lens strategy advice

I'd like to know your opinion about revisiting my current lens kit. I photograph mostly landscape going in specific places or while hiking. For this purpose, a couple of years ago I bought the oly 12-100 thinking that this zoom would be the perfect one lens solution. I have to say that it worked very well and it is a very useful lens (the only complaint about it is vignetting at 12mm). After some time I added a pana leica 8-18 because I wanted a wider perspective and from that moment the "one lens solution" philosophy expired: in my bag there are always the two zooms.

Even if the 12-100 is so good, during my walks I often feel the need of more reach (especially for wild life) and I'd like to add a tele zoom to my kit. In the past I had the only 75-300 II but I never was satisfied with it and it stopped to work just after the warranty expired. Now I'm considering two lenses: the pana leica 50-200 and the 100-400 but I have some doubts. The 100-400 would be great for wildlife in good light conditions. It also would be perfect mate for my current kit which arrives to 100mm. But it weighs almost a Kg and I'm afraid I'll leave it at home often. In the other hand the 50-200 overlaps a lot the 12-100, has less reach and costs more, but it is quite lighter and brighter which is useful in the woods. With the 100-400 my three kit lens would weigh 1866 gr. while whit the 50-200 the weight would be 1531 gr.

Now I'm thinking something that is more difficult to accept for me: I could sell the 12-100 and buy the 50-200 along the pana leica 12-60. In this case the total weight of the three lenses would be 1290 gr. and considering the price of the 12-60 here (especially due to the fact that it can be found used), I could spare some money. But I'll loose the 12-100 which is generally considered a sort of holy grail of the system and the abstract possibility of having my one lens solution (which as I said doesn't happen anymore)

Consider that I also own some primes (14, 20, 25, 45 and 75mm) which I use more rarely for specific purposes and I often bring a tripod for long exposure or hi res shots (I have an e-m1 mk2).

That being said (in my bad english), I'd like to know your advice as I think I'm not very focused because I'm victim of an extreme case of gas.

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow