Rules for 3D photography?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
falconeyes
falconeyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,523
My experience

I experimented a bit too and think there is a problem actually.

Esp. for people photography, I found that one has to meet TWO rules simultaneously:

1. a normal interocular distance like 65mm.

2. a focal length (after cropping) such that the field of view - when viewed - and field of view - when photographed - become equal.

Esp. the latter rule is hard to ensure but absolutely important, I found. If violated, people appear wierdly distorted. If #1 is violated, people appear too small or too tall.

My preferred presentation medium is 65“ 4k 3D OLED where 3D imagery is absolutely stunning. But knowing that perfect images are possible only at one viewing distance is a bit frustrating.

To solve this, the image would have to scale if viewers moved closer or farer away - which actually would turn the screen into a perfect simulation of a window into another world. Until that day, a 3D (VR) head-up display is the best way to ensure the proper field of view. For smartphone stereo viewing a la Google cardboard, this is about 100 degrees.

For a 65“ screen at 3.5m viewing distance, it is a 85 mm lens which reproduces the correct angles - a rather long focal. But with increasing resolution, people move closer or use bigger screens over time. So, I consider anything between 50 and 85mm to be good focal lengths for people stereo photography not produced for VR.

If everything matches (if one moves to the right distance) on a 3D 4k OLED display, then the experience is outright stunning, much better than the experience in a movie theater. It really is a window into another world then. Of course, the industry had to decide to discontinue these products which you no longer can buy.

I think, to take off 3D must be paired with VR where both rules can be ensured. I am currently in kind of stand by, awaiting VR headsets to become both lightweight and high-res enough (100 degrees FoV requires 6k, 180 degree VR content 11kx11kx2) to become enjoyable.

Of course, for other subjects one may telax the rules. Subjects then may appear smaller (landscapes) or bigger (macro) than they actually are. Which is fine.

What is your experience with stereo photography? Did it work out as you hoped it would?

-- hide signature --

Falk Lumo

falconeyes's gear list:falconeyes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax *ist DS Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 808 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow