Lack of contrast, depth, and clarity when shooting with Tri-X 400 35mm film

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
okmarzo Junior Member • Posts: 25
Lack of contrast, depth, and clarity when shooting with Tri-X 400 35mm film

TL:DR- Is this lack of blacks, contrast, depth, and muddy haziness a typical result when you expose between the highlights and shadows (sky and foreground)? This was developed and scanned by a photo lab. It's probably my fault because I exposed more towards the highlights of the sky resulting muddy silhouette.

I just received my shots and notice the lack on contrast and depth. A lot of the shots are muddy and unclear as well. I'm fairly new to shooting with film and because I'm used to shooting digital, I was naturally afraid of overexposing the highlights. So I exposed more towards the highlights (the skies in this case).

I made the mistake finding a balanced exposure between the the sky and shadows. I'm going to reshoot test shots and this time underexpose within the shadows 0, +1, and +2. So this time, I hope I get the correct depth and contrast.

Is this typical a result when you overexpose for b/w film (tri-x 400)? Would I lack this much contrast when overexposing that it would lack darks as well as the muddy results? Is it possible my photo lab I go to made a mistake? I've sent 2 color rolls to them and they were overall fine. However, again, with this b/w roll, I did expose more for the highlights and then the shadows (sky and foreground).

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow