Convinced that I have a bad copy of XF 18-55mm lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanLbk Regular Member • Posts: 104
Convinced that I have a bad copy of XF 18-55mm lens

I bought a new X-T2 a month ago that came with the 18-55 mm kit lens. From the very beginning till now, I have not been satisfied with the IQ of the lens. All photos are soft and they get even softer as soon as I start to zoom in. I'm new to the Fuji X system so I can't tell if the lens is a bad copy or if I'm being paranoid - a situation of uncertainty that I hate being in. What I do know is that the photos are not up to par and I guess that's enough proof to do something about it.

I'm thinking of going to Adorama tomorrow (the store where I got the camera) to see if I can get a replacement. But before I do that, I wanted to get folks' opinion on this forum on whether I indeed have a bad copy or simply expecting too much due to unfamiliarity with the Fuji X system. I'm sharing a couple of my "best" photos below that I took with the lens. Most of the important settings were either set to auto or 0. I've been shooting JPEGs only so far so I unfortunately don't have any RAW files to share with folks.

I know there's another active thread on this exact topic, but out of respect for the OP of that thread and not to hijack his convo, I'm starting a new thread. Hope that's okay.

With the last image above, for example, when I zoom into the face of the guy who's talking, his face is grainy and not sharp at all. Am I crazy for expecting it to be sharp?

-- hide signature --

Daniel
X-T2 enthusiast

DanLbk's gear list:DanLbk's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow