EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Back2M Regular Member • Posts: 367
Re: EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

trulandphoto wrote:

Yup, I had one of these DO zooms for a few months. In addition to contrast, if there's any bright light in the scene it gets washed out.

I actually like the IS II USM lens. Better IQ, AF and IS than the DO.

I'm giving it a shot before I go that route; I haven't ruled out that option as I was very impressed with the 70-300 IS II USM mounted on the M50 at BestBuy when I tried it, very impressed. The IQ on the 70-300 IS II USM is certainly better, it's also bigger though. I found even Tamron 100-400, although the lightest EF 100-400 mount zoom on the market, still was too bulky. For the price, I figured I'd give this guy a shot, besides, it's smaller, really hard to beat that as size is a big priority here. I've found mounted on the R adapted it's the correct profile; it's pushing the edge of acceptable though for my style of shooting.

But worth the trade? We'll see. Going to really put it through it's paces and see if it delivers enough IQ. If not, the seller has a 30-day return window. I'm pretty confident at this junction I'll be keeping. However, with all this rain and cloud cover, I have yet to encounter strong counter light requiring the hood yet. That could change the game here if either mounting that hood becomes an issue, or IQ doesn't meet minimums in my book, etc. I'm finding when used correctly IE f/8 and +2 contrast it's meeting my needs. As lighting changes, that may change too based off samples I've seen from others from this lens. Also the bokeh is a bit iffy, arguably that's my biggest hangup. Pictures like that water tower are great because there is no bokeh; the background is the sky. That foliage though? That "dreamy" bokeh is not my dream. We'll see how it does in normal not-overcast daytime.

The 70-300 IS II USM is plan B.

Back2M's gear list:Back2M's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow