EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Back2M Regular Member • Posts: 367
Re: EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Unless it's a thick layer of dust, it won't have much impact on a tele lens.

Your results seem about right for the lens. It's respectable, but was poor value at the original price - the standard 70-300 IS USM is as good, but was half the price. At the price you've paid, it's a bargain. Yes, the L lens is better, and if you're paying basically the same price, the DO makes little sense, but at your price, I would buy one again. But at 300mm, you do need to stop down, that's just the way it is.

Yup, just finished reading many of Roger C's blogs and came to the same conclusion: the level of dust I have in this lens, which is I'd rate 2/10, which for it's age is excellent, should have zero impact on IQ.

In my case I went DO for size purposes (not so much weight) and low-profile. Throw a hood on (which I haven't needed to, yet, but will) it gets bigger when in use, but stored in my bag it's small. And since I don't need the hood all the time, just sometimes, it's fine.

KEH is having a 15% off sale right now and there is a BGN in stock for $333. Just saying.

If Canon did a RF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM I'd be all over it, even at a MSRP of the original 70-300 DO. The new double gapless frenzel of the 400 DO II really pays dividends and being able to shrink the lens down another inch through no adapter makes it more compact. It'd still be around 700g, but, 130g less as no adapter needed. Darn thing would be smaller than a EF-S 55-250 mounted on a Rebel if they made one, and sharper too potentially.

Back2M's gear list:Back2M's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow