Lens sharpness comparison

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 7,424
Lens sharpness comparison

In another thread (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62188811), I recently posted high ISO tests of the RX10M3 and A6500+18-200 lens. This pushed me into doing some lens sharpness tests at low ISOs.

I compared my RX10M3 (which has the same lens as the M4) with my RX100M6 and A6500 with 50mm prime lens. I've already established that the RX camera lenses are significantly sharper than my E-mount zooms, so I wanted to see how the Long zoom RX lenses compared with a sharp prime lens.

The tests were done as follows:

• Lowest available ISO
  • On a tripod, OSS turned off, 2 sec delay
  • Aprox 75mm equiv focal length
  • A mode, f/4.5 on the 1" cameras, f/9 on the APS-C camera, for approximately equal DoF
  • All are processed RAW images, using the same settings in DxO PhotoLab 2.1

I've cropped an area towards the centre of the frame, where all the lenses should be at their best, and adjusted all three images to be the same size and straight:

I found that the results are near-identical, but if I was forced to choose one, it's not the one I'd have expected. Which do you think is best?

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Sony a6500 Sony RX10 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow