Fuji 56mm f1.2 or 16-55mm f2.8?

Started Jan 16, 2019 | Questions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 38,251
Re: Fuji 56mm f1.2 or 16-55mm f2.8?

deednets wrote:

The Ghost of Caravaggio wrote:

If you use the prime, eventually you will mentally compose (pre-visualize) photos as having ~29 degree angle-of-view before you even pick the camera up. You will be able appraise photographic opportunities at this field of view.

If you use the zoom you could end up composing with many different angles-of-view which means you would not be able to take advantage of pre-visualization.

Of course you could choose to use the zoom at only two angles of view: ~29 degrees and say ~ 62 degrees (23 mm focal length). Now you could pre-visualize at only two angles of view.

Or maybe you don't think there is be any value to pre-visualize for your photographic goals.

I guess you don't want to change lenses as you work.

If the smaller angle of view with the XF 50/2 WR is acceptable, then the total size and weight is further reduced.

So, I would get the XF 50/2 WR (~ 32 deg angle of view) . Then I would pick up a used XE-2 and the inexpensive 28/2.8 pancake XF prime (~ 55 deg angle of view) or a used X100S or X100T. The inconvenience of carrying a small second camera may not be that much worse than just dealing with the larger, heavier zoom lens. And you have a back up camera which has advantages as well when traveling.

Bang on!

I am one of those and already know - close enough - what I am doing when I lift up the camera with the 56mm mounted.

But the majority seems to tick like zooms. I don’t.

I learned to shoot with zooms for the most part.   When I took on primes it was a novelty in comparison, and I took for it for all the reasons one might.   I particularly enjoyed the different in field practices.   I use zooms less now, and when I do feel I need to zoom. . . it's surely different.

As I "work" a scene or subject by walking about it with a zoom, from every point/perspective I stop and raise camera there are potentially several focal lengths to consider using.   Whereas with a prime, it's simpler, less options for being limited to the single focal length, and less to distract from exploiting that single FOV.

I haven't yet been able to feel I can go w/o a zoom for some objectives, as much as I've tried.    So far, anyway.   Not that I NEED to, but it would be simpler not to have that zoom monkey on my back.   First world problems [g].

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow