Lens for the PEN-F

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
teejaywhy
teejaywhy Regular Member • Posts: 185
Lens for the PEN-F

I'm attracted to the Olympus PEN-F to have as a carry-around and as a camera to take when I'm not wanting to pack a whole kit of gear.

That said, I would like to outfit it with one lens that would be versatile for travel, street, landscape and "snapshot" uses.

The idea of simplifying to a single prime lens intrigues me as well. 35mm equivalent would seem the logical choice.

I'm finding the current offering: M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8 as well as a (discontinued?) 17mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

The pancake lens attracts me as it seems to fit well with the compact nature and retro look of the PEN-F. But the f/1.8 is not that much bigger.

Then there is the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ zoom lens. Also a "pancake" lens, slower, but offering the versatility of a zoom.

A general question about these lenses:  do any of them mechanically "extend" either when powered on or when zooming?   I'm assuming the zoom lens does...  but wondering about the fixed lenses?

Any other comments or advice on which to pick, especially the differences between the two 17mm primes.

THANKS!!!

teejaywhy's gear list:teejaywhy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon D750 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow