Fuji 56mm f1.2 or 16-55mm f2.8?

Started Jan 16, 2019 | Questions thread
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,074
Re: Fuji 56mm f1.2 or 16-55mm f2.8?

charley5 wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I am new to Fuji cameras and lenses and I am having difficulty deciding between these two lenses. Mostly it will be used for travel photography. I take posed street shots. In my last photo excursion I took pictures of children at a slum in New Delhi and previous to that I took pictures of gypsy road workers in an encampment in a small Himalayan town. As I say, all were posed. I am less interested in spontaneous street shots.

My considerations:

The 16-55mm gives me a flexible focal range, is very sharp relative to other zoom lenses, and I can use it for the occasional landscape shots as well. Unfortunately it is heavy and thus less attractive as a travel lens.

The 56mm is a superb lens that is a little less heavy than the aforementioned zoom, and delivers excellent and natural quality. Downside is that in some situations I would like to have the flexibility of a zoom lens, particularly in my location relative to the subject, and in terms of the amount of background I wish to include.

Any thoughts? I am sure there are people who use these lenses and have opinions regarding the above.

Thanks!

-Charles

I own both and use both.

I own a X-H1 for IBIS.  For travel, I always bring the 16-55.  More often, I find I like to stop down for greater DOF when I'm running around and I love the zoom option for grab shots.   The 16-55 also has WR which might improve your chances of escaping damage due to light rain or dust.

The 56/1.2 has f/1.2 and doesn't focus as fast as the 16-55 (although it does focus faster with new Fujifilm bodies).  It's great for shallow DOF portraits as you'd expect.

Since I don't get paid for my photography, weight/size of my camera setup is a huge factor.  These days I lean towards a medium size kit with my X-H1, 16-55, and 10-24.  I might squeeze in a prime or three, depending on the packing situation.

If I had more time to slow down and be more selective in my shots, I would go primes: 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 attached to my X-H1 and X-T2.  But, of late I rarely have that time on my vacations.

Lastly, I think the 16-55's lack of OIS really sucks, especially given its size/weight combined with me getting older and not being able to hand hold as well as I used to.  So I big factor for my current use of the 16-55 is the X-H1.  I do think carrying the 16-55 means I can leave the primes at home (again because I don't usually miss shooting wide open at f/1.4).

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +60 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow