Fuji 56mm f1.2 or 16-55mm f2.8?

Started Jan 16, 2019 | Questions thread
The Ghost of Caravaggio Contributing Member • Posts: 729
Re: Fuji 56mm f1.2 or 16-55mm f2.8?

If you use the prime, eventually you will mentally compose (pre-visualize) photos as having ~29 degree angle-of-view before you even pick the camera up. You will be able appraise photographic opportunities at this field of view.

If you use the zoom you could end up composing with many different angles-of-view which means you would not be able to take advantage of pre-visualization.

Of course you could choose to use the zoom at only two angles of view: ~29 degrees and say ~ 62 degrees (23 mm focal length). Now you could pre-visualize at only two angles of view.

Or maybe you don't think there is be any value to pre-visualize for your photographic goals.

I guess you don't want to change lenses as you work.

If the smaller angle of view with the XF 50/2 WR is acceptable, then the total size and weight is further reduced.

So, I would get the XF 50/2 WR (~ 32 deg angle of view) . Then I would pick up a used XE-2 and the inexpensive 28/2.8 pancake XF prime (~ 55 deg angle of view) or a used X100S or X100T. The inconvenience of carrying a small second camera may not be that much worse than just dealing with the larger, heavier zoom lens. And you have a back up camera which has advantages as well when traveling.

-- hide signature --

"The belief that ‘randomness’ is some kind of real property existing in Nature is a form of the mind projection fallacy which says, in effect, ‘I don’t know the detailed causes – therefore – Nature does not know them."
E.T Jaynes, Probability Theory: The Logic of Science

The Ghost of Caravaggio's gear list:The Ghost of Caravaggio's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow