TACK SHARP!!!

Started Jan 17, 2019 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DDavis1 Regular Member • Posts: 379
TACK SHARP!!!

I was looking for a tack sharp long portrait lens for future use. I like the look of some of the longer 135mm f2's, but didn't have the cash for it. Until another photographer and a dear friend of mine suggested the 105mm f2.8. And man, did this lens NOT disappoint!

It's very sharp wide open at 2.8 and tack sharp stopped down to 3.2/3.5. Heck, and because it's a macro lens, you can utterly blow out a background even at f4 on head shots. This is a special special lens!

One thing to note though; on a 12MP Nikon D3s, images give you nice detail. Highly suitable for portrait work. However, on higher resolution bodies such as the 24MP D750/Z6 or 45MP D850 /Z7, you will HAVE to soften headshots a touch in post because of the higher detail levels of the cameras combined with this lens. Images come out too sharp, too detailed.

Although not a replacement for the creamy King of Bokeh 85mm 1.4g or 85mm 1.8g, but it's up there in terms of image detail, sharpness, and bokeh.

DDavis1's gear list:DDavis1's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D70s Nikon D700 +9 more
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR
Telephoto macro prime lens • Nikon F (FX) • 1455
Announced: Feb 21, 2006
DDavis1's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon D3S Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow