Cropping with the Z6 vs. Z7

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Twitchly
Twitchly Contributing Member • Posts: 690
Cropping with the Z6 vs. Z7

I’m a longtime hobbyist with a Nikon D5300 DSLR (and a Canon G1X III for my bring-everywhere camera). I’m currently saving up for a full-frame camera, probably mirrorless, probably Nikon. I’m looking at both the Z6 and the Z7. The 5300 has been a good camera over the years, but I’ve become frustrated with it for shooting in low light or night shots, and it can be very slow to grab focus for indoor shots. I also want better, more effortless DOF.

I love the look of the pictures coming out of both of these cameras.

My question: aside from printing very large prints, what are the benefits of having very high resolution? I’m assuming I would probably be fine with the Z6, but I do love to crop heavily, especially if I couldn’t zoom in as far as I wanted to. (My favorite part of photography is post-processing.) Is that where the Z7 would really shine?

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @twitchly

Twitchly's gear list:Twitchly's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW120 Canon G1 X III Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Nikon D5300 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow