RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM vs EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Back2M Regular Member • Posts: 367
RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM vs EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

As promised, here's some quick comparisons...

Wide open on the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM vs wide open on the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

Macro comparison

Noise comparison, also wide open. SOOC JPEG; NR standard.

Couples notes, in order.

Note the additional contrast of the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM vs the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM in my son's face. His eyes and hair are sharper in the RF 35mm. Bokeh is more pronounced. Across the board better image in my eyes.

The macro I used wide open on both. I do have another sample that isn't wide open from the RF 35mm, but I made the mistake of backing up a bit from the image (less macro) when switching to f/4. I'm keeping the sample out of this round to avoid confusion but can add it to the mix on the thread if desired for details.

The noise difference is pretty pronounced even with the aggressive noise reduction.

I'm not trying to promote one system over another or say hey the R is better here. These are merely provided so that folks that shoot the 35mm focal length (or equivalent in crop IE 22) can see what they're missing/not missing. Pure and simple.

I'm very impressed at what both the R can do, and what the M can do after doing the comparison and after spending more time with the R, I can say although of course it (the R) delivers better images, but, the M is a very fun, VERY capable system for what it is, not to mentioned more compact, more mature (at this point in native lens lineup) and more economical.

My last bout with the M50 and EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM definitely shows the M can seriously deliver. Don't hear what I'm not saying here is the point.

But does the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM represent a substantial leap forward over an M50 with EF-M 22mm f/2 STM? In my eyes, yes.

Back2M's gear list:Back2M's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow