General Impressions of First Assignment with Z6

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AV52 New Member • Posts: 16
General Impressions of First Assignment with Z6

I received my Z6 last week and spent much time reading the manual and playing with various settings. Last night was my first opportunity to take it to work. I shoot with two bodies, a D4 and my trusty D3. The D4 usually gets the 24-120 f/4 and the D3 the 70-200 f/2.8. The assignment was an awards dinner in a old style club, with a reception followed by remarks, award presentations, dinner, and dancing.

I used both the D4 and the Z6 (with the 24-70 S) at the reception and later switching back and forth with the 70-200 for the rest of the evening. Below are my impressions, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good – The light weight and the quite shutter. This is also my first touch screen camera and I like that, too. The viewfinder in low light.

The Bad – I'm not totally happy with the color rendition. Colors were flat and lacked contrast. I have to assume that at least part of this is due to my unfamiliarity with the proper settings to achieve my "look". With a bit more time, I can probably get close to what I want. Maybe better.

The Ugly – Without a doubt, the autofocus. I really, really wanted it to work. I wasn't trying to shoot moving people. The camera was set for AF-S and single point. Maybe I am missing something. The lens hunted and lagged, and even once or twice did nothing when I tried to photograph groups of posed people. The available light wasn't great, but the D4 had no problems whatsoever. Not sure if I was also having viewfinder lag, but something funny was going on.

I have a 30 day window in which to return the camera so I will not make an immediate decision. If I did have to, it would already be boxed up. I should have another opportunity to try it at the National Press Club next week and will report back on my experience.

If things don't pan out, there may be a D850 in my bag, although I'd really prefer the weight and quite shutter of the Z6.

Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
DWM
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow